QUIT SLOUCHING!! Have I got your attention? :)
My husband sends me great info like this regularly (he’s a fitness trainer). These tips are extremely useful for anyone who sits all day (and probably incorrectly). It’s not just the old “sit up straight” talk either:
- Sitting provides stability to perform high visual & motor control tasks
- General Goal: Optimal Sitting Posture = Design of Chair + Posture
- Specific Goal: Seated Minimal Muscle Cocontraction + Neutral Spine
- Utilize Backrest & Do Not Slump Forward (Excessive Kyphosis)
- General Backrest Inclination: 90-105°
- Lumbar supports — Help Achieve Neutral Lordotic Curve
(via National Posture Institute)
Another great reminder: make a point of regularly sitting up, stretching, and moving around. Got a laptop? Try switching during the day from a seated desk to a standing desk (if you have one; or if you have a bookcase with adjustable shelves you can set one to the right height and try that out).
Watch out for your health, because if you don’t no one else will!
ps: If you know who actually created this medical illustration, please let me know! That name embedded in this JPG is not the illustrator. So, another tip: Don’t claim to own illustrations that aren’t yours! GRRR!)